The annual Trailwalker Melbourne event has been cancelled by Oxfam Australia in accordance with State and national measures to contain the transmission of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Oxfam Australia Fundraising Director Andrew Buchanan said the decision was in line with Federal and State government strategies to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Australia.
Mr Buchanan said a State of Emergency had been declared in Victoria today banning all non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people, which followed advice issued by the Federal Government on Friday.
The Melbourne Trailwalker was scheduled to be held from 27-29 March.
“The cancellation of the Melbourne event is of course disappointing, but the health, safety and wellbeing of participants, volunteers and staff is our paramount concern,” Mr Buchanan said.
“We are grateful for all the hard work and support of participants, volunteers and staff involved in the event, which raises money to help improve the lives of people living in poverty.”
Mr Buchanan said participants were being notified of the decision and organisers were working with relevant authorities to make the necessary arrangements for the cancellation.
Oxfam Trailwalker, which has been held for three decades, raises money for Oxfam’s work tackling poverty and inequality around the world through donations to teams of four who undertake the challenge of a 100km trek.
“We thank the hard working teams and their generous supporters, who have made donations to help Oxfam’s work tackling poverty around the world,” Mr Buchanan said.
“This support is needed now more than ever, with vulnerable communities and people likely be the worst hit as the Coronavirus crisis unfolds.”
Updates on the event and more detailed information can be found on the Trailwalker website.
For interviews or more information, please contact Amanda Banks on 0411 449 653 or email@example.com