Where the money goes

Thanks to you, Oxfam reached 22.3 million people in 79 countries around the world during 2017-2018. Of that number, Oxfam Australia directly reached more than 1.7 million people. In partnership with our Oxfam affiliates, we reached 13.2 million people affected by disaster or conflict.

Through our advocacy and lobbying work, we have reached millions more.

Oxfam Shop also worked with more than 69 fair trade and ethical producer partners in 22 countries, including Australia.

Thanks to our generous supporters, families are growing more food, earning a living, accessing clean water and toilets, living healthier, safer lives and having their voices heard. Their contribution has made a positive difference to the lives of people around the world. Yours will too.

For every $1 we spend:

  • 67 cents is used to directly support our development, advocacy and humanitarian programs around the world
  • 23 cents is invested to generate future income
  • 10 cents is spent on essential administration

The above ratio does not include Oxfam Shop fair trade and ethical producer partners.

Emergency appeals:

We spend at least 90% of funds raised from emergency appeals on our emergency response programs. The remaining 10% covers costs associated with advertising and promoting our appeals, operating our toll-free phone room, processing and receipting donations and audit and financial accountability.

For more information about where your money goes, please visit the Financial Overview section of our Annual Report.

Why your donation is so important

  • 61% comes from the community (people like you!)
  • 24% comes from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • 15% comes from other grants and sources

What your money can buy

Photo: Timothy Herbert/OxfamAUS

Photo: Timothy Herbert/OxfamAUS

A $50 donation

can provide families in Timor-Leste with vegetable seeds, increasing nutrition and market opportunities.

Photo: Timothy Herbert/OxfamAUS

Photo: Timothy Herbert/OxfamAUS

A $100 donation

is enough to provide medicines to one village in Laos to treat common illnesses and prevent disease.

Photo: Max Bastard/OxfamAUS

Photo: Max Bastard/OxfamAUS

A $300 donation

can provide a water harvesting system to supply clean water for 200 families in drought-stricken southern Africa.