Responding to the announcement that the G20 has agreed to suspend debt repayment of the poorest countries, Nadia Daar, Head of Oxfam International’s Washington DC Office, said: “Today’s announcement by the G20 is a critical step and will help poor countries free up billions in funds to tackle the coronavirus pandemic. However, the UN estimates that developing […]
Latest World Finance & Trade Agreements
Appearing today before the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security supplementary public consultation on the Foreign Influence Transparency Scheme Bill, Oxfam Australia’s Public Policy and Advocacy Manager Rachel Ball said: “Advocating to the Government and public is an important part of Oxfam’s work in empowering communities and tackling poverty, and without significant amendments we […]
Responding to reports that the 2017 Forbes’ billionaires list reveals a record 233 new billionaires, Oxfam Australia’s Head of Public Policy and Advocacy Rachel Ball said: “Once again we are seeing another shocking statistic emerge, highlighting inequality occurring on a scale the likes of which we’ve not seen before. “Earlier this year Oxfam revealed just […]
With famine declared in South Sudan and the UN warning of looming famines across Somalia, Yemen and Nigeria, the devastating ongoing war in Syria and the effects of climate change being felt in Australia and the Pacific, an Australian vision for a more prosperous, peaceful and secure world is more important than ever. In its […]
Just eight people own the same wealth as the 3.6 billion people who make up the poorest half of humanity, according to a new Oxfam global report revealing the gap between the super-rich and the poor is far greater than had been feared. Oxfam Chief Executive Dr Helen Szoke said Australia had not escaped the […]
Responding to reports the European Commission has ordered US tech giant Apple to repay a record 13 billion euros (AU$19.73 billion) in back taxes after ruling a series of Irish tax deals were illegal, Oxfam’s Fair Economies Advocacy Manager Joy Kyriacou said:
“This ruling by the European Commission shows how much the public lose out when big companies do the wrong thing and governments don’t step in and stop them.
Development projects funded by the private arm of the World Bank have caused human rights abuses, conflict and suffering for local communities, a new Oxfam report has found. The report, The Suffering of Others, highlights the risk of channelling billions of dollars of development money through third parties such as banks, private equity and hedge […]
The richest 1 per cent of the world’s population will have more combined wealth than the remaining 99 per cent of people next year unless the rapid rise of inequality is stopped, Oxfam warned today ahead of the annual World Economic Forum meeting in Davos this week.
Oxfam Australia has today welcomed a commitment from G20 Labour and Employment Ministers to tackle inequality.
Oxfam Australia has welcomed Treasurer Joe Hockey’s announcement today of further efforts to act on multinational tax dodging, but urges the government to use its G20 presidency to ensure that global tax reform benefits poor countries as well as rich ones. Oxfam Australia’s G20 spokesperson Jo Pride said high levels of tax dodging by multinationals […]